Thursday, October 4, 2012

30 Questions: 5 Passions

What are 5 passions you have?

1.) Olympic Sports
I started speedskating because of the Olympic Games. And because of speedskating, I started applying for internships at the U.S. Olympic Committee. And because of the USOC, I found my passion and what I wanted to do with my life. What is that, exactly? Marketing and promotion of Olympic sports. Now, less than three years into my career, I've been to the Olympic Games, made amazing friends, served as official photographer for a World Cup and had so, so many experiences I never would've anticipated if you'd talked to me five years ago. 

However, my passion for Olympic sports goes beyond just the fact that I've turned it into my career. I love sports. I grew up watching the Pacers and Colts. I lived in Tampa when the Devil Rays were created and went to my first Lightning game there. But there's something different about Olympic sports. While they do indeed have their problems, I feel like it's still truly about the sport. It's not about who got a multimillion dollar contract to create their own shoe or cutting the line into New York's most famous club. It's a labor of love with very, very little chance of glory. We're talking about athletes who train forty hours a week for four years and then have one shot at their sport's most coveted award, Olympic gold. And on top of the competition, you've got incredible stories of international cooperation and friendship. At the core, the Olympic Movement is just a really amazing thing.


2.) Travel
There's no better way to understand the world than experiencing it for yourself. I've had the distinct privilege of getting to travel to somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty countries and territories. Every place I visit teaches me something new and makes me appreciate aspects of my own culture that I make never have noticed. Through my experiences with other people in other places, I've come to understand that there's no one place that is "better" than anywhere else, just different. And "different" is not a bad thing :)


3.) Food
Specifically, good food. I love the history and culture of food, as well as how it brings people together. There are few things better than a great dinner with good friends and a few bottles of wine. I'm also very passionate about treating my body to the right kinds of food. Yes, I eat junk food and even indulge in the occasional trip through the drive-thru, but I do consciously make an effort to avoid foods that are not ethically raised (i.e., I only eat cage-free eggs) and I try to eat organic food. Yes, it costs more, but I think avoiding unnecessary exposure to antibiotics, pesticides and other substances is worth it, as is the peace of mind that comes with avoiding unethically raised food products.

Yes, I know it's a cupcake...they can be organic, too!

4.) The Environment
Because without a healthy planet, what's the point? We've got to take care of what we have.


5.) Health
This one goes along with food and the environment. I try to exercise and eat properly (although I'm far from perfect) because we only are given one body and I intend to make the most of mine! 


Other honorable mention passions: photography, politics, music, books and much, much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment