Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Running for Boston

By now, I'm sure just about everyone has heard about the terrible events that happened yesterday at the Boston Marathon. I'm completely and utterly heartbroken for everyone whose lives were shattered on an afternoon that should have been one of the happiest of their lives.

I was running yesterday when the attacks occurred. I hadn't run in months, but my dad just signed me up for a half-marathon in August so I figured I should get started on training. While I was whining about walk/running for a half hour on a treadmill while watching Game of Thrones, hell broke loose in Boston. When I got back up to my desk post-workout, I was totally shocked at the information coming my way on Twitter.

Although it's pure coincidence that I happened to start running again at the same time of a horrible tragedy, it's inspired me. I want to do something about it. I'm trying to think of some way to "run for Boston." So far, the best idea I've had is to ask people to donate a certain amount of money per mile for my August half marathon so that I can donate the total to an organization helping with the victims in Boston. It'll be a little while before you can discern between the opportunists and the legitimate organizations, but if anyone hears anything, let me know.



No comments:

Post a Comment