Thursday, November 15, 2012

Chocolate Oatmeal Cake and Following Recipes

Last night's adventure...baking chocolate oatmeal cake.

I got the photo off of Tastespotting (it was Pinterest before Pinterest existed), which led to the recipe here.

I had to get a little creative due to a lack of ingredients for the icing they suggested (namely, marshmallows and milk), but it appears to have worked out! Who knew that French vanilla coconut milk creamer could make such tasty (albeit not so smooth) ganache? The one critique I have about the cake itself is that this definitely turned out more like a brownie than a cake, so I'm referring to this recipe as "Chocolate Oatmeal Brownie Things." This isn't a bad thing to me, as I much prefer brownies to cake, but I can see where it'd be annoying if someone were going to try it for a special occasion.

This is why you should always, always use your go-to recipes for special occasions, friends!

Granted, I'm not one for following my own advice. Typically, I use holidays as excuses to bake up whatever random thing I find online. One Easter, I actually invented my own recipe for cookie dough layer cake (while it turned out well, I do not recommend going rogue on cookbooks for a big occasion!). Last Thanksgiving, I made pecan pie for the first time and decided to make a second with chocolate in it (again, diverging from recipes).

Cookie Dough Cake...or, more accurately, brown sugar cake with chocolate chip cookie dough filling, cookie dough icing and chocolate chip cookie crumbs

Alright, now that I've got that out of my system...back to the chocolate oatmeal cake. I am baking at high altitude here in Park City, so the texture could've been a problem with my altitude adjustments. I don't typically see that much of a difference, though.

The final verdict? This stuff is tasty and I liked it. Work people liked it. I'll probably make it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment