Wednesday, November 28, 2012

30 Questions: Forgiveness

What has been the most difficult thing you have had to forgive?

My previous employer laid me off (along with several other employees) in a less than professional way. I was still in London after weeks of working 20+ hour days. Despite being told I did not need to look for a job when I asked before the London Olympics, I found myself unemployed in one of the world's most expensive cities.

The thing that made it difficult, though, was not the circumstances. It was the fact that this company had spent the prior year preaching about employees being family and treating one another that way. It felt like a betrayal on a very personal level rather than simply being laid off for financial reasons. There are far more details I could get into about why I felt the way I did, but I won't get into those here. I had (and still have) good reason to be upset.

However, I don't see any point in dwelling on bad things. Before I moved, I met with the company's CEO to talk. We talked for a good hour or so about everything. While I cannot in good faith recommend the company to anyone I care about for Olympic travel due to my personal experiences, I've buried the hatchet with my former coworkers. They are humans who have flaws but still mean well. I can forgive while still accepting the lessons I learned there. 

I've moved on, and I'm happy for the times that I have had. I'm grateful for the people I've met and the experiences I have had the opportunity to experience. Without my previous employer, I wouldn't have met many of those people or had some of those experiences. Everything happens for a reason and I truly believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment