Friday, January 4, 2013

30 Questions: Family Dynamics

Describe your family dynamic of your childhood vs. your family dynamic now.

Okay, I've kind of been putting this one off. It's not because I don't want to share my family dynamics...it's not that at all! It's just that there's a lot more to this answer than a simple "Then is was ___ and now it is ____."

So, family dynamic of childhood.

My brother, sister and I were pretty imaginative kids. My parents kind of let us do our own thing, which cultivated that imagination. We ran all over backyards and basements, dreaming up ridiculous TV shows (complete with theme songs) that we starred in. We made "potions" from whatever we could find. My parents were always there for us and we did get in trouble when it was warranted, but they let us figure ourselves out and make our own mistakes. 

Among the kids, I was sort of a silent ringleader. My brother and I would gang up on my sister (as she was the youngest and generally the most likely to tattle/whine/etc.)...but I somehow always managed to avoid getting in trouble even though my brother was not so fortunate.

And now, the dynamics of today.

We're all friends. Parents, siblings...we just hang out. Clearly, there's still a slightly different dynamic between me and my parents and me and siblings, but we all like each other. I talked to my mom and dad on the phone almost every day. When I'm home, I go out to the bars with my siblings. My whole family plays drinking games together. We like going on vacation together.

In short, it's pretty awesome.

I'm pretty blessed to have such an awesome family!

No comments:

Post a Comment