Monday, July 2, 2012

Watching Dreams Come True (and Fall Apart)...

Greetings from Eugene, Oregon!

I've been here since June 20th for the US Olympic Team Trials in Track & Field and, my, what an eventful two weeks it has been!!


From the very beginning, the Trials proved to be one of the most exciting ever. Ashton Eaton claimed the world record in the decathlon.  Dathan Ritzenhein came back from his disappointing 4th place finish at marathon trials to earn his ticket to London in the men's 10,000m.  Allyson Felix and Jeneba Tarmoh caught USATF totally off guard with their 3rd place dead heat in the women's 100m, originally to be resolved in a run-off (which Tarmoh has now decided against, giving Felix the spot). Some of the other events I particularly enjoyed were the women's high jump and the 800m races.


I had the distinct privilege of being a credentialed photographer at this event (my photos are starting to go up on my SmugMug page here), meaning I got to be there at the finish line as people realized their Olympic dreams.  I was also there to see the heartbreak that comes with training for four years only to have that dream shattered in seconds.  This experience goes beyond words...I could try and explain how it felt to stand there on Hayward Field every day, but words wouldn't do it justice.  Even though I am not a diehard track and field fan, I am an avid supporter of the Olympic movement and the athletes involved in it, so this was truly unbelievable to be part of!


Thank you to all the athletes for allowing us media to be a part of your successes and your hardships...it's truly an honor to be there as lives are changed forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment